Life Saving Solution for Traffic Pollution Set to Pilot in the UK

Life Saving Solution for Traffic Pollution Set to Pilot in the UK

Posted 17 December, 2019 at 13:36

Author Mark Bradshaw on behalf of (IFM) Independent Forecourt Magazine


The founder of a revolutionary traffic pollution system, which has potential to save thousands of lives every year, is in discussions with local authorities and a major highways agency to launch a pilot in the UK.  

 

Tech entrepreneur and founder of Pollution Solution, Thomas Delgado, has plans to install cat's eye-style filters at all majorly polluting junctions across the UK, with a view to reduce pollution and bring the UK inside the legal air limits. The system can capture around 30% of dangerous pollutants (including brake dust particles as well as nitrogen oxides and particulate matter generated by engines) and recycle it into 99% clean air at the roadside.

The pilot, which is expected to cost approximately £90,000, will initially take place in London and target areas where vehicles sit with idling engines or are in slow moving traffic, such as outside schools or at traffic lights, pedestrian crossings and busy junctions.

Pollution Solution is now seeking to finalise a suitable commercial partner to carry out the pilot installation and the UK wide rollout. Thomas Delgado said: “Whilst we are enthused by the initial interest, we have received from both the public and private sector, it is imperative for us to find a suitable, long term commercial partner that can install the system quickly to minimise disruption to the public. It is key that our partner has the ability to cover the whole of the UK so we can really make a big impact on air quality, very quickly.”

Around 40,000 people die prematurely every year from pollution related illnesses and this ground-breaking invention has potential to change that - not just in the UK but in international territories too. 

Since launching Pollution Solution into the public domain just two weeks ago, Thomas has been contacted by a number of local authorities across the UK and several major companies from America, Hong Kong and Belgium. Thomas Delgado said: “The international interest we have received is great, but as this is a UK innovation, we are really keen to see it implemented here first, before we start to focus on the rest of the world.”

 

Despite the government pledging to tackle roadside emissions with a £220m Clean Air Fund, to date there have been very little allocations made towards innovative technology that will help solve the issue, which is now costing the NHS more than £20bn a yearThomas Delgado said:

“This is a pro-active and robust approach to resolving the health crisis that we are currently facing. Millions of pounds have been spent across hundreds of studies and they all have very similar conclusions – road pollution is directly causing illnesses and deaths. With over 40,000 new cases of people suffering from serious pollution related health related illnesses every year, this is no time to procrastinate,  we must take action now across the whole of the country, starting with the worst affected areas first.”

According to Delgado, the implementation of London’s Ultra-Low Emission Zone and the increasing use of electric cars, is not having the impact everyone thinks: “Just 0.5% of UK registered vehicles are electric and the remaining 99.5% are fossil fuelled. It is unrealistic to think that these vehicles will be phased out overnight and we therefore require an interim solution to ensure we meet legal air limits now. It is proven that living nearby a busy polluting road reduces life expectancy as well as the value of your home. The new Ultra-Low Emission Zone will certainly reduce these problems, but it is inevitable that many vehicles will simply take new routes to avoid the fines, this will move the problem from one place to another.”

Thomas is continuing discussions with local authorities and hopes to secure a commercial partner within weeks.

                                   

For more information about Pollution Solution, please visit the website or contact Emma Heley at Thinking Hat PR: emma@thinkinghatpr.com / 0203 457 0676 / 07872 063807

                                               

More from (IFM) Independent Forecourt Magazine

NEVS contributes with coronavirus protection
Press Release

NEVS contributes with coronavirus protection

03 April 2020
LIQUI MOLY enters the World Touring Car Cup WTCR alongside Hyundai
Press Release

LIQUI MOLY enters the World Touring Car Cup WTCR alongside Hyundai

03 April 2020
Extra Muscle for the new RS 7 Limited Special Edition ABT RS7-R puts out 740 hp
Press Release

Extra Muscle for the new RS 7 Limited Special Edition ABT RS7-R put...

02 April 2020
INDEPENDENT GARAGES VALUED MORE BY CUSTOMERS SINCE START OF COVID-19 CRISIS
Press Release

INDEPENDENT GARAGES VALUED MORE BY CUSTOMERS SINCE START OF COVID-1...

02 April 2020