Posted 10 September, 2019 at 14:15
BYTON M-Byte at IAA 2019 in Frankfurt
- BYTON unveils its BYTON M-Byte at the IAA in Frankfurt
- BYTON announces details of its first production vehicle during its IAA press conference
- With the 48-inch-wide curved Display - BYTON fulfills its promise of integrating pioneering user-centric technology that changes the way people spend time in vehicles
Frankfurt, September 10, 2019 – BYTON, the premium brand for smart electric vehicles, unveiled its first vehicle, the BYTON M-Byte SUV, at the IAA Frankfurt. With the innovative BYTON M-Byte cockpit, centered around the 48-inch-wide curved Display - BYTON fulfills its promise of implementing a user-centric operating philosophy.
"As one of the most important motor shows in the world, the IAA is a yardstick for us. We are on the verge of starting series production and the feedback from media and especially from our future customers, is of great relevance to us. Today's unveiling of the BYTON M-Byte also shows the effort paying off for the team, which has worked relentlessly on the car for over two years. Within that short amount of time, together we have taken a smart electric car from an initial idea on a white sheet of paper to series production readiness, while also building a coherent infrastructure with locations on three continents and an efficient Industry 4.0 production facility in China. We can rightfully be proud of this," says Dr. Daniel Kirchert, BYTON’s Chief Executive Officer and Founder.
The unveiled BYTON M-Byte and its interior can be experienced live at the BYTON booth in Hall 8, C13, during the IAA Frankfurt.
BYTON has developed the core strategy of “rooted in China with global reach.” The company aims to create an all-new premium and intelligent EV brand by integrating global resources. With headquarters in Nanjing, China, and R&D centres around the world, BYTON expects to deliver the first BYTON M-Byte´s to Chinese customers in the middle of 2020 after Start of Production.
BYTON is about to close its C-round fundraising, which will secure an estimated $500 million for the company. Investors include FAW Group and the industrial investment fund of Jiangsu province and the Nanjing municipal government. As part of this, FAW Group recently signed an investment agreement with BYTON to participate in the C-round.
BYTON strives to achieve the highest quality for its products, and for this reason the company has built its own manufacturing plant and conducts independent research and development for all products. Located in the Nanjing Economic and Technological Development Zone in Jiangsu Province, BYTON´s intelligent manufacturing base covers an area of 800,000m², with a total investment of over 1.5 billion USD and a planned capacity of 300,000 units. The plant is built to industry 4.0 standards, using cutting-edge manufacturing equipment and technology, as well as an innovative intelligent management system.
- Construction of the five major workshops – namely stamping, welding, painting, assembly and battery – has been completed with equipment currently being installed and commissioning underway. BYTON expects to deliver the first BYTON M-Byte´s to Chinese customers in the middle of 2020 after start of production. The EV-manufacturer expects to start taking pre-orders in Europe and North America in 2020 followed by market entry in each in 2021.
- BYTON´s China R&D center in Nanjing will be put into operation in September 2019 to offer state-of-the-art technical support and quality assurance for subsequent product testing.
- BYTON´s China R&D center boasts first-class R&D and testing capabilities, which can support the traditional R&D tests used by other advanced automobile enterprises, including environmental wind tunnel, shower and tightness, as well as the tests related to the core technologies of smart electric vehicles.
The BYTON M-Byte is a premium SUV and BYTON´s first product to go into series production in its own plant in Nanjing. The BYTON M-Byte is a platform for life designed for the age of shared mobility and assisted driving. With the Display, BYTON is fulfilling its promise of integrating pioneering user-centric technology that changes the way people spend time in their cars. The 48-inch curved Display is the world´s largest display in a production car.
With an affordable entry price, a great range and superior space, the BYTON M-Byte is the most approachable premium EV for everyday use.
The BYTON M-Byte combines digitalization, innovation and craftsmanship to provide enjoyable time on the move.
- The front of the BYTON M-Byte was designed to visualize a new definition of power – prioritizing data power over horsepower. The falling feature line along the vehicle´s flanks and the long wheelbase reflect interior roominess and add to a strong exterior stance.
- Aerodynamics are key for an EV to ensure maximum efficiency. With a low roofline, sleek silhouette and a very competitive drag coefficient, the exterior design is an aerodynamically optimized body. The floating C-pillar is a distinctive element, which also has aerodynamic functions to channel air flow around the greenhouse. Door handles that lay flush and a fully enclosed front fascia add to aero efficiency.
- One of BYTON´s key design elements is the so-called BYTON Front Blade between the upper jewel-like daytime running lights with the BYTON letters, which will also distinguish future models in the BYTON family. At the rear, the taillights are equipped with slim edge LED technology.
- The BYTON Smart Surface at the front and the rear are a future-oriented element that transform the vehicle´s body into an exterior user interface. When autonomous driving becomes reality, these additional lighting elements will communicate toward the outside world. In the meantime, the BYTON Smart Surfaces greet the user and display the charging status in charging scenarios.
- The exterior color portfolio offers classic variants, as well as progressive colors.